Saturday, 5 November 2011


I heard an interesting observation ... the US foreign policy is being informed by fundamentalist Christian millenialism. Basically, (i.e. in the case of Isreal) the argument goes, fundies want Jews in control of Jerusalem because the Bible says this has to happen before the End of the World. They _want_ the EotW because that way they get to go to heaven.


I doubt this is literally the case: nobody sat around a table and said "Look here, we gotta get more Yids in Jerusalem if any of us want to go to Heaven." However, I have personally experienced the power of a Bible-lead culture to screw with your values even if you are not Christian. If you want to create a Jewish homeland by ignoring the concerns of the locals, there were probably more easily suppressed peoples than the Palestinians right?


Also I'm quite sure that most Christians will realize that they can also get into Heaven by just, you know, leading a good life. Still ... it gives pause: what other aspects of US culture could plausibly laid at the feet of the fundies?


---------------------------------------------
Aside: if you consider yourself a US fundamentalist Christian and you are offended by this - take heart: obviously I don't mean _you_! I'm quite sure you know who I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment